Throughout history, an idea of man as a hegemonic masculine reference has been forged, being able with everything, being protector, strong and provider. It is a concept of traditional masculinity that has changed in recent decades because it has meaning problems. Basically, it is an idea that does not fit reality and can have consequences or cause a series of unhealthy behaviors.
Fighting the term of traditional masculinity is essential for the development of gender equality. In this sense, other ideas related to man that are much more in line with reality have permeated society. To discover what are the new masculinitiesthe differences they present with respect to the traditional one and how to work with them, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
The new masculinities propose a rethinking the traditional idea of masculinity unlearning the gender roles imposed throughout life and inherited over the centuries. The concept of the hegemonic man is no longer useful because most of society has understood that he does not conform to reality, hence the need to seek alternatives to this model with a gender perspective.
Institutions, organizations, companies and people are working together to reformulate the classic types of masculinities. One of the most necessary and beneficial points of interest of the new masculinities is the eradication of both gender violence and those attitudes that favor it. Another important aspect that they focus on is break the myth of the omnipotent and violent manas well as the rejection of all macho behaviors that appear in everyday life.
To put an end to attitudes of gender violence, the work of empathy, family, work and personal co-responsibility is essential. This implies a masculine presence in spaces of cleanliness, care and attention of other people.
The new masculinities present evident differences at a conceptual level with respect to the traditional types of masculinity in terms of competitiveness, inequality, gender roles, aggressiveness and external image:
An important part of traditional masculinity consists of the need to demonstrate one’s abilities: education made men competitive in order to achieve social or employment status. Instead, the new masculinities consider that each person can fearlessly expose your weaknesses and take advantage of the talent of colleagues to have effective collective work without seeking confrontation.
Traditional masculinity has the culture of inequality as one of its main axes. It is based on the control that some people have over others to have power. The new masculinities are committed to consensus, horizontality and relationships between equals.
The concept of traditional masculinity is defined as the opposition to the feminine, that is, men have to provide, they do not care or cry.
However, the new masculinities and feminism are committed to the elimination of these gender roles imposed on masculinity and femininity with the aim of promote freedom. In this way, it helps men to live a full fatherhood, for example.
Hegemonic masculinity has among its most negative behaviors violence and aggressiveness that, despite being less and less legitimate, is still present in today’s society in the form of sexist comments, harassment and sexual violence. In this sense, the new masculinity aims to eliminate sexist violence and of any other kind.
The traditional masculine referent tries to project an image abroad, contributing to the development of competitive and instrumental skills. It is a positive aspect for productive work, but it entails a personal and inner carelessness that causes poor management of emotions.
The new types of masculinities seek a balance between internal and external development, favoring a optimal management of emotions and interpersonal relationships.
To assimilate the new masculinities, at OneHOWTO we guide you through the following steps:
- Eliminate violence: Change everything related to violence and power to modify the way of inhabiting the world. Do a personal review to eradicate the learned representation of how to be a man and move on to a perspective of “being”, that is, of being what each one is.
- Review the model of masculinity: ask yourself what masculinity is and realize that hegemonic masculinity is obsolete. You must put aside all asocial behaviors so that new ways of expressing feelings can emerge.
- encourage empathy: it can be done by listening and feeling, being in contact with other people and connecting with the deep.
- Build a free masculinity: there are no concrete formulas for new masculinities. Don’t try to control or define everything, just enjoy things naturally.
- Bet on care: you must get involved in the complete care that goes beyond paternity. It is about building a masculinity based on balanced relationships, living care and upbringing as their own spaces.
- Learn on the go: It’s not about constantly competing. Enjoy learning from everything, even from your own mistakes. Read, talk to friends, educate yourself and share concerns to move forward in life.
- Using the body to improve relationships: do not be afraid of physical contact with other people. We are a body and a skin. Break the shell of distance, the one that prevents you from giving hugs with feeling.
Now that you know what the new masculinities are, you may be interested in reading our post on Toxic Masculinity: what it is, examples and how to overcome it, you’ll love it!
We want to give thanks to the author of this post for this amazing content
What are the new masculinities – How to work them in 7 steps to benefit you in your day to day